Monday, June 22, 2009

Irresponsible Fisherman

On our recent trip to Pulau Tenggol, during one of our leisure dive, I was leading my group of divers diving at Gua Rajawali. My other group of leisure divers also diving at the same site but at different entry point.

When we met up with the other group of leisure divers, I saw them grouping together at a spot doing something. I was curious what they are doing and went to have a closer look. As i approach them, I was supprise to see a huge fishing net floating in the mid water. the leisure divers were busying cutting the net to free up those fishes who got trapped in the net.

I quickly instruct my divers to wait at one area and i went over to help out the net cutting. The fishing net had a massive tangle the corals, destroying the most of the stagehorn corals in the area. Most of the fishes are dead trapped in the net, among them are 2 Bamboo Sharks. However, we still manage to free 2 Bamboo sharks.

It took us 30 minutes to cut loose the net and we tide the sausage to the net and lift it up to the surface.

1 comment:

Shark Savers said...

thanks for sharing.. i just came back from tenggol 2 weeks ago, and i must complaint that the reefs and livings are somehow diffrent from the previous year i went. I am very disappointed of the depreciation. Tenggol use to be one of my best diving experience, i use to sing the glory of it.. now no more =(